Monday, March 17, 2014

Bebedouro, Brasil!

Well, I've been in the field for a grand 5 days, but this has probably been one of the longest weeks of my life. I'm not going to lie, this is really hard. Really, really hard. Im starting over and I have no idea whats going on most of the time, but I know it will get easier soon.


-My companion is Brazilian, Síster Soares. She doesn't speak any english besides the few words I've taught her

-It's hot here and we walk everywhere, except we take the bus at night because it's safer. I'm so grateful for those sandals we bought. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have them

-We live in a little house with 2 other sisters. The four of us are serving in the one small branch that exists in this city. Our area is HUGE for people that don't have a car. We don't really have investigators right now, but it's really easy to talk to people on the street... well, it's easy for my companion to talk to people on the street, that is.

-I'm getting used to the culture. I love how nice the people are! They love Americans. We talked to 2 police officers yesterday on our way to a members house... one said he is going to marry an American woman... I couldn't follow the conversation too well, but I guess he was asking what I would do after my 11 remaining months as a missionary and my companion informed him that I had someone at home in America...

-I spoke in church yesterday. It's hard for people to say Shipp so they call me Síster Shippie or Síster Bonita (Beautiful Sister). No one here knows how to play the piano, so it looks like I will finally learn how to play hymns and play on Sundays. We have a key board in our house so I can practice.

-One of the Sisters we live with actually speaks English really well, so when I feel like I'm losing it, I can talk to her.

-We have lunch with members instead of dinners. The food here is really good :) And they expect you to eat a lot. We will have to see what will do more to me... the food or the walking.

-I have lots of mosquito bites right now! I'll have some good tan lines here pretty soon too! They are already forming. 

-My camera isn't connecting to the computer... so no photos this week! Sorry....

-It is beautiful here outside the city. Really green.

-We travelled to our area from Ribeirão Preto by bus. That was an adventure!

-In case anyone wants to send me a package... For the address, write:

A Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Últimos Dias

Attn: Síster Maryann Shipp

then the address I sent out a few weeks ago, it'll have a better chance of getting to me.



Thats all I have time for. Thanks for the prayers! Theyre much needed.



Com Amor,

Síster Shipp

No comments:

Post a Comment