Monday, April 21, 2014

Adventures in Brazil!

The first trip to the doctor of the mission!
I've kind of been sick the whole week, but it really started Friday night/Saturday morning... midnight to be exact. I woke up with the worst headache of my life. Took Ibuprofen, didn't do anything... tossed and turned... my body really ached so I figured I had a fever too. I finally got back to sleep around 3:30 or 4. We went to the doctor/hospital (like an urgent care place I guess) in the morning. They took some blood and then we waited. They sent us back to the reception area to wait. I felt really weak. Sitting up has never been so hard. Sister Soares let me put my head on her bag in her lap. One of the nurses finally noticed and took us to a room with a couple beds. I slept for 2 hours there while we waited for the results. So I have something called Dengue, which is nowhere to be found in my dictionary. From what I can tell, its something that is carried by mosquitoes (I guess this is my wakeup call to be more dilligent with the bug spray). It's really common here. They gave me this really gross medicine for the pain and sent me off. I wasn't allowed to attend church yesterday because I'm really weak and not supposed to walk much. I totally forgot it was Easter until halfway through yesterday when I looked at my calendar. Happy Easter, y'all. We got some ice cream, chocolate, and juice that I have absolutely no apetite for whatsoever. Don't worry, I'm fine. I should be back to normal in a few days. One of the members brought some soup by that I can eat and my companion and the other Sisters in our house are taking care of me, making sure I eat, and doing lots more for me too.
What an adventure!
 
We have interviews with our mission president this week in Ribeirão Preto Wednesday and then Choir practice Thursday so I'll get to spend a chunk of the week chilling outside of our area. 
 
That's pretty much all that's happening here. Sorry for the short, pretty dry email. It's been quite the week. I'm just ready to crawl back into bed.
We really did have some fun at the doctor. People here love Americans. The doctor got to try out some english and the nurses too. There were asking lots of questions about how to say things.
 
Hope you all have a wonderful week!
 
Wish my mom a Happy Birthday this coming Sunday ;) I know she would appreciate that!

Much Love,
Sister Shipp

No comments:

Post a Comment