Monday, October 28, 2013

Ventura - Last Day as a Teenager!

Last day of a teenager! What? I'LL BE 20 TOMORROW.
I can't believe it. It'll eventually hit me, I'm sure.

Well, it's been an interesting week with a ton of change.
 

Monday was my last day in SLO. After emails, Sisters Cusick, Anderson, and I got our usual donuts, got Chipotle for lunch to celebrate my birthday, shopped, and packed, packed, packed. We had dinner with the Huber family that night. When it came time for dessert, they sang happy birthday and brought dessert with a like "20" candle. Total surprise. Thank you Sister Anderson! and the Hubers for going along with it :) It really made my day. I was feeling really stressed. We had a lesson with a family that went really well. Then we made the trek to Lee's house for the good-bye. I knew it would be hard. We visited for a little bit and then the goodbyes started. We all cried. Lee told me how much I have meant to her and how important my work here is. She was my first investigator and is definitely someone I will never forget. I finally learned how to get her crazy dog to sit. Just in time to leave, I guess. The rest of the night was packing. It was hard. I definitely came to love SLO and the people there.
 

Tuesday we woke up early early (4:30) to finish packing and leave for transfer meeting. We rode with the Keeps who are the people who took me to SLO in the first place. They are so nice! Transfer meeting was good, but the goodbyes were hard. I felt bad for Sister Anderson's new companion, straight out of the MTC. She was standing and watching Sister Anderson and I cry as we said our goodbyes. I told her goodbyes normally weren't like that, but that I could be shipped off any day to Brazil, so it's a little different. She was understanding. After that, it was time to jump into the routine of missionary life once again. We went to an appointment, grocery shopping, unpacked, and studied. Ventura certainly is beautiful.
 

Wednesday, I got to meet some of the people we regularly visit. It seems like this area may be a lot of strengthening the ward.
 

My district seems fun! We have the Sister Training Leaders in our district and actually in our ward as well. It's different having 2 sets of missionaries in the ward and consequently, we don't get fed as often, but that's okay. College-student-meals. We tract a lot here. Lots of knocking doors. It's amazing what you do as a missionary! I can't even remember what I thought it would be like, but I love it! I've met some incredible people this week and we've found some teaching opportunities, but I know more will come as we carry on.
 

I love the ward here. President Castro and his family are in the ward I am serving in as well! It is wonderful. They invited us over for Thanksgiving, welcomed me into the ward, and wished me a happy birthday. They are incredible and I love them so much. The Laws are also in this ward, which is the family I stayed with my first night in California before transfer meeting! It was good to see them again!
 

Reflecting back on last transfer, some reasons for my being in California have become evident. I know that I needed to meet the people that I have. I have learned so much about being a missionary and have formed friendships that will last forever.
 

Thank you for all your support. I've gotten many letters this week. If it seemed like it was a birthday card, I put it in the box with my unopened presents from family to open tomorrow. Y'all are the best. Really. Tomorrow might be a little hard, but I know that this work is worth it. I know this church is true and I know the joy that it brings. I want everyone to experience the joy that comes from this knowledge; from knowing that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us, that He sent His perfect Son, Jesus Christ for us, that we have a prophet on the earth to guide us, and that we can be with our families forever.
 

Have a good week. Love y'all!

 

Love,

Sister Shipp

No comments:

Post a Comment